Sunday, July 12, 2009

T-5 and counting!

I can't believe my PBM is only 5 sleeps away! I've been suffering from the worst anxiety and insomnia EVER!!! I know this is par for the course and will pass in time. My doctor gave me a script for sleeping pills, but I was afraid to take them (I'd never had sleeping pills in my life), but 2 weeks of no sleep and the pleadings of a pre-op nurse convinced me to use them...I'm so glad I did. The past 4 nights I've had the most heavenly, peaceful, restful sleep that I've ever had.

I've been busy "nesting" and getting everything ready at home for my return from surgery; I've actually been compulsively cleaning and organizing. I actually defrosted and cleaned out my big freezer this morning...YUCK! It has been very therapeutic and has keep my mind off of things...and it's been good for the soul. I'm starting to feel more at ease with everything ahead of me.

I just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone for all your support and words of encouragement.

I'll try update as soon as I can.

(((BIG HUGS)))

3 comments:

Margaret Proffitt said...

Just discovered your blog and I'm looking forward to reading more. My grandmother was a carrier of both genes (died of breast cancer before I was born), my mother is a carrier of BRCA 2 (currently undergoing treatment for Stage 3 breast cancer) and I am getting tested this fall. I'm glad to see a blog community for BRCA carriers. Keep up the good work.

I've started making t-shirts to raise breast cancer awareness. You might be interested in checking out my "shop" at www.zazzle.com/thinkpinkpride
I have a "BRCAn't Stop Me" t-shirt among other humorous shirts.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery/recovery. If I test BRCA positive, I will likely be facing a similar journey. Thank you for sharing your story.

l'optimiste said...

hello very gutsy person! Just found you the other day. Took a little while to get my head round what you're doing. I asked about the gene test when I went for a mammogram recently, but they seem to think there isn't much point, as I don't have children. Oh well, one less needle for me! ;o)

Nothing worse than no sleep - I have horrid insomnia, ever since having had chemo...it's really draining. You will need all your energy for your recovery. I hope you sleep well! :o)

Wishing you the very best of luck and you have a great attitude.
x

More Than My Genes said...

Hey Shari - so glad you are feeling more peaceful. It is like an acceptance that this is it, no more waiting, it's nearly here, get ready.

Shine my friend, you will be just fine. You have an amazingly positive attitude and you can do this. Thinking of you all the way!!

LA :) x o x