Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Study of Breast and Ovarian Cancer in High Risk Families

I received a big envelope in the mail yesterday from London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC), London Regional Cancer Program. It contained a consent form and a research questionnaire as part of a research study to improve understanding of the prevention and treatment of hereditary breast and ovarian cancers. LHSC has been invited to participate in a multi-site research study called Risk Factor Analysis of Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Study. The Principal Investigator is Dr. Steven Narod of Women's College Research Institute, Toronto. This is a 10 year study and I will need to complete follow-up a questionnaire every two years after completing my baseline questionnaire.

When Karen Panabaker, my Genetic Counsellor, originally asked me to participate, I said I'd be more than happy to.

This is going to be interesting and if taking 30 minutes out of my day to complete a questionnaire can help someone else out in the future, I'm all for it!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Good for you Shari. You bring back a long ago memory for me. With my first born Jason I donated breast milk to the cancer society for research to do with breast feeding and cancer----or something like that....whatever--voluntary of course but I never did follow up on the study. What a great use of your time and IT will help many..