Friday, December 19, 2008

Surgery Update and Pathology Report

My follow-up with Dr. Vilos went very well. His resident saw me first; unfortunately, I can't remember her name, but she's wonderful...she was terrific after my surgery as well. She certainly remembered me...I was the one who had my uterus attached to my bladder and the complications associated with that (bruising of the bladder and bleeding) from my severe endometriosis. She asked how I was recovering, examined me and removed one lone stitch that hadn't came out on it's own. I then saw Dr. Vilos to discuss my recovery, pathology report and return to work date. Everything was fabulous. He noted some abnormal things found in my pathology but they are benign and he said it was nothing; don't worry about it; there was no cancer or pre-cancer....THANK GOODNESS!!! This was a HUGE worry for me as so many women have this preventative surgery only to find cancer with the pathology anyway. Here are the results:
  • cervix - no pathological abnormality
  • endometrium (uterine lining) - proliferative phase (first phase of menstrual cycle)
  • myometrium (middle layer of uterine wall) - adenomyosis (the dreaded endometriosis)
  • right fallopian tube - adenomatoid tumour (benign, relatively rare neoplasm occurring primarily in the genital tract)...leave it to me to have something rare!
  • left fallopian tube - no pathological abnormality
  • right ovary - follicle cyst (is formed when the follicle does not release its egg)
  • left ovary - cystic corpus luteum (these occur when the corpus luteum fills with fluid or blood to form a cyst)




It sounds like a lot, but Dr. Vilos assures me all of it means nothing just...NO CANCER!!! YIPPEE!!! Having all these abnormal results just reinforces that surveillance would have been a bumpy road and chosing surgery was my only option. I've already had scares with large ovarian cysts showing up on transvaginal ultrasounds in the past and that was not fun. I can't say enough about Dr. Vilos...I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon. His knowledge, skill, caring and compassion is incredible. When I was leaving and thanked him for everything...he gave me a hug. He is definitely a doctor who cares very much about his patients.

I'm happy this stage of my journey is over....now it's on to the next stage and being completely on "the other side". That journey starts in January with another breast MRI and my first visit to the plastic surgeon, Dr. Claire Temple, with surgery hopefully in late winter / early spring...let's hope the surgery scheduling Gods and Goddesses shine on me for that one!

I want to wish everyone a safe, healthy and happy Holiday Season and New Year. Thank you to all my "readers", family, friends and internet buddies...I couldn't make this journey without you.

Love
Shari

Happy Holidays




1 comment:

D & S said...

I'm glad your surgery is over and that they found nothing! Have a very Merry Christmas with your wonderful family!