Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Appointment with Dr. Power

Yesterday's appointment with Dr. Power went really well. Dr. Power is a fabulous man. His bedside manner is amazing and he puts you right at ease. The staff was fabulous too. I asked him if he sees many BRCA+ women and he said Genetics sends most of their referrals to him.

We discussed surgery options, etc. To make sure I don’t have any cancer because that changes the surgery completely, he did a trans-vaginal ultrasound on me to make sure my ovaries were ok; which they seemed to be. He did the ultrasound himself and explained everything we were looking at. He also brought my husband into the room with us. Hubby sat at my head so he didn’t see the nitty-gritty of the whole procedure, but he did get to watch the monitor. I think it may have been a little traumatic for him and I don’t think the poor man will ever be the same. LOL

He also sent me for a CA-125 test just to be sure (even though it is 70% unreliable). I go back to see him on July 22 and then we’ll go from there.

In my nervousness, I did forget to ask him a few questions, so I’m going to email him. I am going to ask about having a complete hysterectomy to alleviate the risk of uterine and cervical cancer as well. I also want to know if I do decide to go with a mastectomy and reconstruction, if the two procedures can be done at the same time. It will be a longer surgery and recovery, but would be less actual surgeries.

Well, that’s about it. I'll update as I find things out.

At least the first step is over...

No comments: