Friday, April 25, 2008

Alternative eco-friendly die-cast cookware

The following excerpt is taken from the Canadian Cancer Society website

"Teflon™ and non-stick cookware and cancer risk
Non-stick cookware has raised concerns among the public about its possible association with increased risk of cancer. One concern is that cooking with non-stick products may increase cancer risk. Another concern is that potential cancer-causing chemicals used to make non-stick products are released into the environment during manufacturing."

The jury is still out on the health effects of Teflon™ and other chemically created non-stick cooking surfaces, but I tend to err on the safe side. Of course manufacturers deny any health risks associated with their product, but other investigations and studies have shown otherwise. I use stainless steel pots and pans, however I still like using non-stick frying pans...maybe that is saying something about my cooking skills! LOL Ok, it's more for the ease of cleanup, and the fact you don't need to use much cooking oil to keep foods from sticking.

Today we took GeeGee on a shopping trip to Zellers and WalMart. Since I was in the need of some new frying pans, I took a look to see what was available...and look what I found! I was thrilled, I didn't know these existed. I found these at WalMart at a fairly decent price. The 28cm one was $42.99, and the 24cm one was "rolled back" to $19.99 from $36.99. I couldn't resist and bought both sizes.
  • Alternative eco-friendly die-cast cookware
  • Cerem-ECO non-stick surface
  • from 100% natural ceramic powder
  • CHEMICAL FREE - Easy to clean
  • Made of 99% recycled aluminum
  • Even heat distribution
  • Extra thick base never warps, buckles or bends
  • Integrated induction base is for use on all stovetops including induction

There's lots of information out there. Be your own advocate and keep informed and up-to-date on new research and new healthier choices in products that are available. Some good information about different types of cookware can be found at the following link:

It's Your Health - The Safe Use of Cookware from Health Canada

1 comment:

D & S said...

That's interesting. I'll have to take a look for them next time we're in the store, I know we'll be needing new ones soon.